ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Peter G. Peterson Foundation (“Peterson Foundation”) is working to secure a healthy, growing economy by addressing America’s long-term fiscal and economic challenges. Led by Chairman and CEO Michael Peterson, the Peterson Foundation works with leading decision makers in government, policy, academia, media, business and issue/constituent organizations to put America on a sustainable fiscal and economic path. As a non-partisan organization, the Foundation engages in grantmaking, development of its own initiatives, partnerships and research to educate and involve Americans from a variety of perspectives.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Vice President, Communications and Public Affairs will have primary responsibility for proactively developing and implementing a strategic communications and public affairs agenda that is aligned, consistent and integrated with the Foundation’s mission and objectives. Central to the role will be leading and managing a dynamic communications team working on content, stakeholder outreach, message development, media relations, digital, social media, and events.
The successful candidate will serve a senior strategic role within the organization advising and working in partnership with the CEO, the Executive Vice President and other senior leaders to advance the Foundation’s goals.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Develop a comprehensive and integrated communications strategy, narrative and plan that is aligned with the Foundation’s goals and best utilizes its assets and resources.
- Lead, manage and mentor the communications and public affairs team to ensure a collaborative, positive and cohesive team culture and work environment.
- Guide the team to execute a full range of activities including messaging, content, website, media, social media, advertising and events that are aimed at engaging elected officials, the policy community and the public.
- Foster a proactive strategy to engage the Foundation in fiscal and economic policy debates and position it as a compelling voice.
- Actively engage and advise the CEO and the Executive Vice President on matters that enhance the overall image and reputation of the Foundation.
- Guide the Foundation’s branding and positioning with key audiences.
- Craft a robust content strategy utilizing digital and interactive media that targets a broader public audience.
- Support the Foundation’s approach to measuring impact and incorporating lessons learned through continuous improvement, with particular focus on communications.
- Work with the Grants and Program teams to provide communication support for initiatives and projects.
- Advise grantees and other partner organizations on high-impact communications strategies at both the initial stages of development and throughout the duration of work as required.
- Regularly consult with and advise members of the senior management team on all communications matters and provide functional assistance to support their needs.
- Work cross functionally across the organization to shape communications strategy for the Foundation’s primary initiatives in tandem with Research, Grants and other departments.
- Supervise the communications budget and use of outside PR/communications consultants.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
The successful candidate will be a strategic communications leader with superior team management and relationship building skills, a systematic approach to developing and executing robust strategies, and a deep interest in fiscal and economic issues.
You should have:
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in senior leadership roles with a combined portfolio of experience in communications and public affairs, preferably with an NGO or government organization.
- A strong background in conceiving, leading and implementing proactive, creative and comprehensive communications/public affairs campaigns.
- Outstanding leadership and management skills with a proven track record of inspiring, leading and mentoring a team with a culture of engagement and trust.
- Experience working to advance an issue in an advocacy role and an understanding of how to shape information for specific audiences.
- Prior role(s) driving communications strategies targeted towards the policy community and lawmakers as well as the general public.
- The capacity to be nimble and flexible; able to chart the course but openness to adapt in order to achieve goals.
- An understanding of how to position others as thought leaders before the media, government officials, and key stakeholders.
- Confident and credible in the role with grace, respect and a diplomatic style around navigating Foundation goals and relationships with key stakeholders.
- Track record of working collaboratively and effectively with senior leaders and across teams of different functions and areas of expertise.
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills with the ability to understand complex economic and fiscal policy topics and translate it in a meaningful and accessible way to multiple audiences.
- Experience working with and advising third party organizations on optimizing joint communication goals and strategies.
- Familiarity with the Washington DC policy and government community preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in communications, public policy or a related field is preferred.
Compensation: Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Peter G. Peterson Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to: PGPF@sandlersearch.org