The Synergos Institute
Senior Manager, Development – Foundations
New York, NY Preferred / Remote
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Synergos is a global non-profit organization solving complex issues around the world by advancing Bridging Leadership, a style of leadership which builds trust and collective action. Their experience over the last 35 years tells us that collaboration releases more and better solutions than working alone.
Together with partners in more than 30 countries, Synergos focuses on transforming how people across sectors and divides come together, develop deeper understanding, create shared vision, and take collective action to solve deeply entrenched societal problems. Their model can be applied to many areas of social change and especially with networks of philanthropists and civil society leaders.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Synergos seeks a Senior Manager, Development – Foundations (“Senior Manager”) to lead fundraising activities from foundations, both private and corporate, and to secure essential resources from donors, both US and internationally, to support, sustain and expand their long-term programs.
The Senior Manager will identify potential new funders, manage a small portfolio of existing relationships, and support program colleagues with program specific donors. The role will be 80% new business development, 20% stewardship of existing relationships.
Reporting directly to the Director, Development (based in London), the Senior Manager will work in a small development team and will actively engage with Country Directors, Philanthropy, and various Program Leaders. They will represent Synergos and its mission, programs, and strategies in meetings with funders, thought leaders and other external stakeholders.
Strategic Business Development
- Create and implement a multi-year development plan for foundations to support the organizations goals and business plans.
- Collaborate actively with the CEO, Board of Directors, Philanthropy, Country Directors, and Program Leads to appropriately leverage contacts and involvement to engage with foundation prospects, research funding prospects, identify connections to new funders and funding sources, and develop approaches to asks and build productive relationships.
- Research, identify, and build relationships with a range of grant opportunities to create a robust pipeline to support for Synergos’ key fundraising objectives.
Donor Stewardship and Administration
- Cultivate, solicit, and secure gifts and grants through principally private and corporate foundations, but also government and international development agencies where applicable.
- Compose clear, articulate grant proposals and documents that make a reasoned, compelling case supporting the requested contribution, including goals and expected outcomes.
- Collaborate with the development and communications teams to develop personalized communication and stewardship strategies to aid in donor solicitation and cultivation.
- Assure strong policies, practices, and systems for managing the portfolio of donors financial reporting, and compliance with donor rules and regulations in a manner that sustains donor confidence in Synergos.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
The successful candidate will be a talented, creative, and entrepreneurial development professional with a strong understanding of and experience in the private and corporate foundation landscape. The Senior Manager will be a consummate relationship builder with the ability to match the appropriate funder to Synergos’ international portfolio of programs as well as help funders achieve their own philanthropic objectives and other mission critical goals.
A strong candidate would bring/be:
- At least 5 years of experience working in the US and international non-profit sector in fundraising or revenue efforts with focused experience cultivating and soliciting foundations.
- Proven track record of soliciting and securing 5, 6 and 7 figure funding commitments and large-scale foundation support.
- Strong knowledge of fundraising principles, high-level gift strategies, operational infrastructure, and philanthropic foundation community particularly those in the realm of international development.
- Outstanding written, listening, and spoken communication skills, demonstrated success in reaching across organization and geographic distances.
- Highly motivated self-starter who is engaging, resilient, and resourceful with the ability to adapt and thrive in an environment of ambiguity and evolution.
- A collaborative, honest, and authentic approach to working with internal and external colleagues to maximize the effectiveness of projects and programs.
- An interest in technology with sound working knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics CRM strongly preferred. Knowledge of Monday.com useful.
- The highest standards of ethics, integrity, and values consistent with those of Synergos.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
TRAVEL: Possible domestic and international travel expected
COMPENSATION: $80,000-$90,000 plus benefits
- We’re driven by purpose. We’re a values-driven organization that’s laser focused on improving lives around the world by building a trust.
- We value you. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- We’re a dynamic community. You’ll work with diverse, dedicated, compassionate staff and innovative global networks of trust-builders.
CONTACT: Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to: email@example.com
Synergos offers outstanding benefits that include health, dental, vision and life insurances, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an Employee Assistance Program, 403(b), generous vacation, personal sick leave, parental/adoption leave, commuter benefits, community service day and much more.
Synergos is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, sex (including gender identity, nonconformity, presentation or expression), sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic made unlawful to consider by applicable federal, state, or local laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
In addition, Synergos is committed to providing reasonable accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws.