ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Great education transforms lives. KIPP, the Knowledge Is Power Program, is a non-profit network of 255 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating more than 110,000 early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. KIPP schools, KIPP regions, and the KIPP Foundation are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and career success, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, for us all.
KIPP Foundation trains and develops outstanding educators to lead KIPP schools, provides tools, resources, and training for excellent teaching and learning, promotes innovation, and facilitates the exchange of insights and ideas within the KIPP network and with partners including other charters, districts, colleges and universities, and non-profit organizations across the country.
In 2019, KIPP adopted an ambitious new mission: Together with families and communities, they create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world. This commitment also redefined desired long-term outcomes for KIPP alumni: career success, fulfilling lives, including financial freedom (considered necessary, but not the only, input to fulfilling lives), as well as socio-emotional competencies like critical consciousness and civic engagement. Additionally, KIPP’s vision is that every child grows up free to create the future they want for themselves and their communities – and they believe that KIPP alumni have tremendous collective power, voice and leadership to help realize this vision for all over time.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
As the Senior Director of Alumni Impact, you will be responsible for an emergent area of work for KIPP — building and executing a robust, innovative national strategy that continues to define how KIPP supports alumni with a goal to propel the majority of KIPP alumni, both those after postsecondary education and with nontraditional paths, to career success, financial freedom and ultimately to fulfilling lives.
As a primary strategy to support KIPP’s mission and vision, you will organize KIPP’s network of over 40,000 alumni to be connected to each other, to KIPP, and to opportunities for leadership and advocacy beyond KIPP. You will determine how to partner with alumni, KIPP Foundation teammates and KIPP’s schools and regions to build a united vision and implement the alumni impact strategy.
As a senior leader at KIPP, you will be a vocal, active, and consistent voice in representing and championing the interests of KIPP alumni. This will include building systems to elevate alumni voices and leadership within KIPP, speaking at KIPP alumni and regional events, building alumni culture and community, increasing alumni in KIPP’s pipeline for school, regional, and national leadership, building partnerships with external organizations, supporting advocacy on the Hill, fundraising efforts, building communication campaigns that elevate alumni stories, and partnering with alumni to drive policy change.
The Senior Director of Alumni Impact will manage a team of seven and growing. The Senior Director reports directly to the Chief of Policy and Public Affairs and collaborates closely with the KIPP Foundation KIPP Through College team, which leads high school counseling, postsecondary advising and career development towards graduation from college and other postsecondary pathways.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Strategic Planning and Visioning
- Building off the FY2025 goals, develop an overall vision, clearly defined goals, strategy and an actionable plan for the new, emergent work of postsecondary alumni support that includes alumni of all backgrounds and paths.
- Define a robust measurement and evaluation framework based on goals and definitions of success to assess alumni impact and team progress.
- Cultivate and shepherd the alumni impact program model to support adult alumni to mission and vision outcomes, including continuous improvement and ongoing evaluation of success.
- Oversee and grow key national Alumni Impact initiatives in addition to determining if additional programs are needed to achieve set goals:
- National Alumni Network: piloting and scaling existing and new programs and events that provide value for alumni, inspire lifelong connection to KIPP, and mobilize alumni for action and advocacy beyond KIPP.
- Alumni Leadership Programs: growing and sustaining KIPP’s scholarship and alumni leadership programs (e.g., KIPP Alumni Leadership Accelerator Program, Goldberg Scholarship Program, Amplify Scholarship Program, Rales Scholarship Program) towards KIPP’s goal of 1000 alumni in positions of power and positionality to build a more just world by 2040.
- Alumni Communications: developing KIPP’s alumni communication strategy to introduce KIPP alumni to the network and alumni opportunities as well as reach new segments of alumni through social media, email, nudge texting and other channels and producing an annual progress report.
- Alumni Events: develop a strategy and plan for alumni events as well as oversee event execution.
- Develop systems for collecting, updating, and storing KIPP alumni data and communication preferences and protocols (in partnership with KIPP’s data teams) through nudge texting, partnership with postsecondary advisors in regions and regional alumni associations.
- Manage, mentor, and develop a team of seven, hiring additional teammates as alumni strategies develop.
- Keep the team accountable and engaged through metrics, key performance indicators, annual strategic plans, and a sense of ownership.
- Lead with KIPP Foundation’s values: sense of purpose; results; respect; constant learning and humility; and diversity and inclusivity.
Stakeholder Management and Relationship-Building
- Build transformative, productive, and collaborative relationships with alumni, KIPP regions, and KIPP Foundation teams.
- Partner with KIPP Foundation and regional teams to build consensus and a united vision for the new work of alumni engagement and leadership.
- Coordinate alumni efforts across multiple KIPP Foundation teams and stakeholders, especially the KIPP Foundation and regional KIPP Through College teams.
- Create intentional channels for alumni to have a powerful voice and presence within KIPP, including through governance boards and staff leadership.
- Partner with the KIPP development team to manage current grants that support alumni engagement and leadership work; assist KIPP’s development team in securing and stewarding future grants.
Public Speaking and Advocacy
- Serve as a public-facing champion of KIPP alumni to advocate for alumni needs, convert alumni to champions, and reach the spectrum of alumni from engaged to disaffected.
- Speak at regional KIPP alumni events, KIPP high schools, meetings with regional leaders, at conferences, and other KIPP external events.
- Galvanize alumni through virtual communications, including videos, blog posts, and social media.
- Use your platform to elevate alumni experience, voices, and leadership within and outside KIPP.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
KIPP is seeking a transformative, visionary, and entrepreneurial leader who will play a critical role in catalyzing alumni engagement and leadership at KIPP towards the mission of fulfilling lives for alumni and a more just world for all.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of ten years of experience in education, alumni or academic programming, non-profit program strategy and management, or related in a private or public sector setting.
Additionally, they will bring/be:
Vision, strategic thinking and planning experience
- Ability to see the big picture and develop, launch and scale a holistic, innovative program strategy and plan in a national, affiliate-model organization.
- An entrepreneurial and creative systems-builder with experience creating and managing strategy, as well as discrete and long-term projects, systems and operations across complex organizations.
- Experience developing program metrics and measurement to ensure tracking and optimal program outcomes as well as an ability to manage data strategically.
Innate relationship and partnership building aptitude
- Excellent relationship-builder who is self-aware, a direct and open communicator, and a good listener with demonstrated experience in navigating complex stakeholder management.
- Demonstrated track record in influencing and engaging peers to partner on new work spanning cross sections of a networked organization.
- Ability to engage and partner with large groups of constituents as well as organize them virtually, especially Gen Z/millennials.
A passion for KIPP’s mission, values and educational equity
- An equity-based practitioner who approaches the work with an equity and student-centric lens and is excited to engage candidly in anti-racist, educational equity work at KIPP.
- A deep and visible commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as a connection to the alumni base and their needs.
A team leader, team player, and advocate
- Considerable experience managing a team, especially across difference and with a mix of professional tenure.
- An excellent communicator, orally and in writing, with the conviction and ability to translate vision into collateral and cultivate champions internally and externally.
- A spokesperson for the alumni impact team and alumni needs who can influence, engage with the community, and remove obstacles for support.
TRAVEL: 25-30% Required
Why work at KIPP? By working for the KIPP Foundation, you help more students across the country receive the high-quality education they deserve. If you believe all children deserve great schools and programs where they can gain the knowledge, skills, character, and habits necessary to achieve their dreams while making the world a better place, please apply!
COMPENSATION: KIPP offers competitive salary commensurate with experience. KIPP also offers a comprehensive benefits package, generous vacation and Paid Time Off, 401k retirement plan with both pre- and post-tax options, as well as gym reimbursement, flexible spending account (FSA), and cell phone reimbursement.
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to: KIPPJobs@sandlersearch.org