Chess in the Schools
President & Chief Executive Officer
New York, NY (Hybrid)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Chess in the Schools is a 501(c)3 whose mission is to foster the intellectual and social development of low-income youth through chess education. At Chess in the Schools, they believe in the power of chess to change lives. Since 1986, they have taught more than 500,000 of New York City’s most underserved children, inspiring them to greater achievement.
Utilizing both in-person and virtual means of program delivery, the organization also works with teachers, parents, and school administrators to ensure that chess instruction is available for every student who wants it. Through their work, Chess in the Schools helps create a brighter future for our youth by teaching them valuable life lessons through the game of chess and helping them gain the skills needed to not only become successful chess players, but to use those skills to succeed academically and professionally.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is responsible for driving the overall vision, leadership, and management of an organization with an approximately $3M operating budget and a staff of approximately 20. Working with the Board of Directors, the CEO will:
- Drive and execute the strategic direction and plan for the organization.
- Ensure current and future program excellence including strengthening systems, processes, and technology.
- Deepen connections with partners, donors, and the broader public.
With virtual capabilities and platforms with the potential to scale, this is an exciting moment for the new CEO as Chess in the Schools aims to reach more students throughout the city, and potentially across the country and around the world. Currently, Chess in the Schools is a hybrid workplace.
QUALIFICATIONS & ATTRIBUTES
The new CEO will be an experienced senior leader and inspiring advocate dedicated to the critical role chess education plays in enriching the lives of children in New York City public schools. The successful candidate will also be adept at managing people, programs, budgets and building community partnerships.
Key Professional Experience Includes:
- Prior senior leadership, management, and operations experience working in education and/or nonprofit and familiarity with technology, media, digital learning, and/or edtech.
- A strategic thinker, able to create and drive a vision, develop a plan, marshal resources, and execute objectives utilizing a proactive and entrepreneurial mindset.
- An appetite for programmatic details and a highly collaborative, inclusive, and hands-on manager who embraces data-driven decisions.
- Understanding of fundraising and current marketing/PR strategies and tactics; enthusiasm for cultivating and soliciting donors or investors.
- Ability to build and engage a Board and connect, influence, and inspire a wide variety of stakeholders and funders as well as the public.
- Financial, budget management, operational and general business acumen.
- Deep commitment to education and educational equity required.
- Knowledge and appreciation of chess and the chess community is a plus.
Personal Attributes Include:
- An innovative leader in education – You understand the importance and capabilities of in- person learning, virtual learning, digital mediums, and how it can directly impact youth development.
- A “servant leader” mentality – You can wear many hats and have a deep commitment to work equity. No job is “too small” for you.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion – You value the diversity of perspectives and encourage contributions from all team members.
Organization Mission and Strategies:
- Implementing a comprehensive strategic plan that focuses on expanding programs, ensuring financial sustainability, increasing organizational visibility, and building partnerships.
- Delivering high-impact, enriching programs with a community and data-centric approach, ensuring the organization is at the forefront of evolving student needs and interests.
- Advocating for and cultivating strong and effective relationships with the New York City Department of Education, governmental agencies, and other external partners.
- Enhancing Chess in the Schools’ image by being more active, visible, and serving as a spokesperson at public events and with the media.
- Fostering a collaborative team culture that focuses on inclusiveness and equity as well as provides positive and developmental feedback and accountability.
- Managing and running the day-to-day operations and overseeing compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Maintaining and executing administrative programmatic elements to allow for scalable, sustainable, and fiscally sound program innovation and growth.
- Creating annual operating plans and budgets that support the strategic direction and organizational priorities of Chess in the Schools.
- Managing the organization’s fiscal integrity including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and financial reports that accurately reflect the organization’s financial condition.
- Serving as the lead fundraiser with an investor mindset, who grows and diversifies current support.
- Understanding the philanthropic landscape to cultivate relationships with potential new funders, including institutional and individual funders.
- Administering fiscal management that anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Leading the organization in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board.
- Communicating with the Board includes providing information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions.
- Reporting to and working with the Board to seek their involvement in governance, fundraising and increasing the overall visibility of Chess in the Schools.
COMPENSATION: Salary range will be $155,000 – $180,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications. Competitive benefits include medical, dental, vision, FSA, and 401K matching.
LOCATION: 520 Eighth Avenue, 22nd Floor, NY 10018
Please email cover letter and resume here.
Welcoming nominations in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chess in the Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our goal to provide equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law.