Partnerships & Communications Director, Mass STEM Hub
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The new Partnerships & Communications Director will be an entrepreneurial and relationship-oriented leader focused on shaping the next chapter of Mass STEM Hub (MSH), an internal team the One8 Foundation (One8) launched in 2016 to scale and support grantee organizations focused on STEM education. MSH partners with schools in the Commonwealth to support the high-quality implementation of premier STEM and applied learning programming that engages students and prepares them for college and 21st century careers.
This is an exciting time for a Partnership & Communications Director to build relationships, partnerships and communications strategies to deliver on One8’s vision, with the opportunity to influence Mass STEM Hub’s success across the state. Building deep relationships with industry and higher education partners, the Director will help ensure that students and teachers have access to the authentic industry experiences that make STEM coursework feel relevant. These experiences will also help to demystify STEM careers for students and empower them to make informed choices about their futures. Beyond leading partnerships, the Director will also lead One8’s external communications work to support the effective implementation of MSH across the Commonwealth.
Specifically, the Partnerships & Communications Director is responsible for five primary areas of work:
- Industry partnerships
- Higher education partnerships
- External communications and branding strategies
- Creation and support of operating systems to support the work
- Additional strategic special projects
- Securing and managing industry partners to provide students and educators with authentic industry experiences and access to STEM professionals and careers
- Deepen existing relationships and build new relationships with potential partners aligned with Mass STEM Hub’s mission
- Secure and cultivate new long-term partnerships to provide students with industry connections that are relevant to their coursework and learning
- Coordinate with industry leaders to ensure industry support for programming, including building industry pipeline of volunteers and managing industry volunteer process
- Refine and scale applied learning online challenge program
- Support development and management of Mass STEM Hub’s Advisory Council
- Solicit financial support from partners to enhance student programming
- Work closely with the Teaching & Learning Team, to refine student programming and coordinate opportunities that are a win-win for students and industry partners
- Strategically cultivating and establishing ongoing relationships with higher education partners to provide opportunities for students and educators
- Refine and execute a higher education engagement plan to build potential partners’ knowledge of and interest in Mass STEM Hub’s programming (e.g., dedicated school tours, student & teacher events).
- Identify potential partners and develop relationships to secure articulation agreements, scholarships for students, preference in the application process, and grad school credit for teachers
- Provide ongoing support to higher education partners to ensure long-term relationships
- Developing and executing Mass STEM Hub’s communication strategy to advance applied learning and STEM work across the state
- Develop and execute ongoing communications strategy that builds awareness, interest, and participation of K-12 leaders and educators in MA to applied learning
- Build One8 and MSH brands as trusted and innovative partners for education in a rapidly changing world
- Manage Mass STEM Hub’s Marketing Associate to execute against the communication strategy and key activities (e.g., communications, collateral development, social media, press releases, newsletters, website)
- With input from Teaching & Learning team, craft communication campaigns that are tailored to key audiences – students, teachers, leaders, and industry partners
- Build partnerships with non-profit partner programs (e.g., PLTW, OpenSciEd and ST Math) to build messaging and maintain a pulse on the research and findings in order to update messaging and develop communication campaigns and collateral
- Conduct market research among key stakeholders and establish and manage student advisory Council to secure candid feedback from students to support continual program improvements
- Designing, building, and managing purposeful operating systems to track and deliver on opportunities for students, teachers, and schools
- Work closely with Operations Manager to design and maintain industry and volunteer data in Salesforce
- Refine Project Lead the Way (PLTW) online industry challenge portal to further improve the experience and effectiveness for both students and industry volunteers
- Develop industry partner dashboard to monitor volunteers and match volunteers and partners to schools
- Document higher education opportunities and communicate with students, teachers, and families
- Work with the team to utilize volunteer and students/educator events feedback to refine programming
- Manage budget for industry partner program to ensure strategic alignment of resource allocation
- Coordinate with fiscal sponsor and Operations Manager to ensure financial support provided by industry partners is properly managed
- Developing additional special projects to build out the organization’s knowledge and/or address critical strategic needs of the team
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
One8 Foundation seeks a creative, solutions-oriented thinker and a proactive doer who loves to build relationships, has superb communication skills, and is passionate about STEM education. A successful Partnerships & Communications Director will build on the existing base of partners and programming to expand opportunities, deepen partnerships, and create more coherence for students and educators.
Key Experiences Include:
- 7+ years of professional experience, including at least 2 years working in business development/sales/external relations, with a track record of results.
- Experience leading external communications including developing pitches, creating marketing campaigns, overseeing development of collateral, website design, social media management, and PR preferred.
- Track record of setting ambitious goals, being proactive and pursuing goals persistently and tenaciously.
Key Attributes Include:
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills.
- Superb verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to distill and communicate key messages; and experience developing communications across channels.
- Knowledge of the STEM landscape, particularly math and science teaching and learning programs.
- Collaborative mindset and the ability to succeed on a team where members hold different pieces of the work.
- Must embody the One8 Foundation’s high standard for excellence, rigor, passion, and commitment, while working alongside partners to provide support to drive their ongoing success.
- Ability to thrive in a start-up environment, including building systems from scratch.
- Persistent and solutions-oriented in the face of unexpected challenges.
- Constantly reflects, relishes feedback, and seeks opportunities to improve.
- Brings positivity and humor to the organization and all interactions.
- Believes that education is a primary means to dramatically improve the life outcomes of children and that all children can achieve at high levels independent of their circumstances.
- Passion for Mass STEM Hub’s mission.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Founded in 2006, the One8 Foundation’s mission is to accelerate and bolster the success of nonprofit organizations with the highest potential to achieve breakthrough results in the foundation’s issue areas. One8 does this by pursuing a venture philanthropy approach – identifying highly promising grantees to support with meaningful funding and deep strategic engagement. Supporting nonprofit organizations in both the United States and Israel, the foundation’s model combines grant-making and pro-bono consulting with key strategic grantees.
The Foundation has a significant education portfolio with the objective of ensuring that classroom education truly prepares students to be successful in a rapidly changing high tech world. The Foundation supports proven STEM and applied learning programming that authentically and rigorously helps students apply what they learn to solve real world problems, amplifying both the learning and relevance of their education. In 2016, the One8 Foundation launched an internal team called Mass STEM Hub (MSH) tasked with scaling and supporting specific grantee organizations focused on applied learning and STEM education. Mass STEM Hub partners with schools to support the high-quality implementation of premier STEM and applied learning programming that engages students and prepares them for college and 21st century careers.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
One8 Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.