New York, NY (remote)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The MQ Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization established in 2018 in the United States to raise funds for and promote public awareness and support for groundbreaking mental health research. The Foundation is affiliated with MQ: Transforming Mental Health (“MQ UK”), the UK’s largest mental health research charity, founded in 2013 with the support of The Wellcome Trust. Together, MQF and MQ UK are known as “MQ”, and they have invested over $12 million in research around the world to improve understanding and treatment of mental illness.
In many ways, MQ is still a start-up organization. Building on its reputation as a first-class sponsor of mental health research globally, new leadership is now embarking on a 5-year strategy poised to address a post-pandemic world, in which the US affiliate will feature prominently. The MQ Foundation and MQ UK work as a seamless entity, speaking with ‘one voice’ through their new website www.MQMentalHealth.org.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
MQ Foundation is seeking an inaugural Executive Director to serve as the chief fundraising officer and lead professional in the United States. The Executive Director, in partnership with the Board of Directors, will be responsible for strategizing, designing, and executing an ambitious fundraising program with a goal of significantly increasing revenue, visibility, and impact over the next five years.
The Executive Director will create and execute a development strategy and plan to expand MQ Foundation’s current donor base, including actively identifying, engaging, and managing all donors. The plan will establish a donor giving structure, outline donor and community outreach and events, and work to increase awareness and retention.
This is a unique opportunity to chart a new and dynamic course, prepare for the challenges of a post-COVID-19 world, and serve as an inclusive and empathetic leader, fundraiser, and champion.
Key responsibilities include:
Fundraising and Board Relations
- Design, drive and implement MQ Foundation’s ambitious fundraising plan and mobilize revenue with a focus on major individuals and foundations.
- Actively identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donors.
- Partner with the Board of Directors to recruit new board members and continue to foster and drive Board engagement.
- Inspire and support the Board in its fundraising and governance responsibilities.
Communications, Marketing and Branding
- Develop, implement and champion a clear strategy to raise public awareness and increase interest in MQ Foundation.
- Coordinate with MQ UK to strengthen the partnership and overall impact.
- Serve as the U.S. spokesperson with a focus on expanding MQ Foundation’s fundraising network, brand awareness and visibility.
- Manage and oversee the organization’s administration and operations; and
- Provide fiscally sound management of resources and budgets, coordinate with MQ UK, and ensure best practice systems, processes, and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, energetic, accomplished fundraiser who is business savvy, resourceful, and has a drive for excellence, growth, and results. The new Executive Director will be collaborative, inclusive, and forward thinking. Key attributes include:
- Significant leadership and fundraising experience, with a track record of success in growing fundraising, major gift programs and general operations.
- An excellent record of donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- The sophistication to attract and leverage an engaged Board of Directors, high net worth donors, and prospects.
- Exceptional relationship-building and interpersonal skills including comfort working locally, nationally, and internationally.
- Outstanding written, listening, and spoken communication skills; marketing savvy and ability to reach and influence traditional and new media.
- A go-getter who is self-motivated, energetic, outgoing, and results-oriented with a strong, independent work ethic.
- An intellectual agility and an entrepreneurial mindset to thrive in a start-up environment;
- A well-organized professional with a hands-on approach to administrative functions; and
- A passionate commitment to supporting the values of MQ Foundation and mental health research.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required.
TRAVEL: Some travel will be required post COVID, including to the UK as appropriate.
COMPENSATION: Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to: MQFoundation@sandlersearch.org
MQ Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.