Chief Executive Officer
Greenwich, CT or Remote
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The new Chief Executive Officer will be an entrepreneurial and driven professional who will serve as a strategist, champion, and hands-on leader for the Lipedema Foundation (“LF”). The Chief Executive Officer will partner closely with the Founder/Current Executive Director, the Chief Science Officer, and the broader team to design and execute LF’s strategy and plan.
This is an exciting moment to be at the forefront of something truly unique in women’s health and to guide the Foundation in ensuring collective awareness, accessible diagnostic tools, and available patient treatments for lipedema.
More specifically, the Chief Executive Officer is charged with the following key responsibilities:
- Develop and execute a strategic plan in conjunction with the Founder, Chief Science Officer, and team with a focus on scientific/medical research, grant-making, awareness, and organizational and systems growth.
- Execute swiftly on immediate and short-term priorities while also laying the groundwork for key operational, organizational, and technological projects and complex, future large-scale research projects to serve the mission and women’s health.
- Ensure excellence in and personally manage LF’s growth plans from a systems, operations, and people perspective.
- Build a network of collaborative scientific investigators, clinicians, and educators to extend the Foundation’s reach as well as work to formalize LF’s Advisory Board.
- Lead and grow a small team of professionals and partner closely with the Founder in a culture that promotes a high level of collaboration, mutual respect, humility, ambition, and excellence.
- Provide sound management of the day-to-day organization, team, resources, and research.
- Significantly grow awareness around lipedema among multiple stakeholder groups including researchers, surgeons, doctors, therapists, and the general public.
- Serve as one of the thought leaders, public faces, and ambassadors for the Foundation, sharing scientific research and strategy, to the public and partners via conferences, retreats, webinars, and other opportunities.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
LF seeks a strategic leader and executor with superior communication, team management, business and technology savvy, and relationship building skills. The new Chief Executive Officer will have a systematic, detail-oriented approach to developing and driving robust strategies and plans and a deep interest in and passion for women’s health.
Key Experiences include:
- An energetic leader and self-starter with a minimum of 10 years of leadership experience from disease-focused foundations, non-profits, start-ups, or corporate sector.
- A conscientious critical thinker, able to create a vision, develop a plan, marshal resources, and execute on objectives utilizing a proactive and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Demonstrated experience scaling an organization or significant program from initial strategy to implementation and delivery.
- A well-organized professional with a hands-on approach to administrative functions and experience creating and implementing top-notch systems, operations, processes, advisory boards, and programs.
- Understanding of various technological platforms with a desire and keen ability to quickly learn, adopt, and manage current and new systems, to adjust as the organization grows in size and scope.
- Knowledgeable about scientific research and an understanding of collaborative grants and their associated processes.
Key Attributes Include:
- Open, inclusive, adaptable, and motivating with experience managing and growing an efficient and collaborative team.
- Organized in both the breadth of the big picture and executing the depth of the small details with the self-directed drive to ensure accountability and success.
- Eloquent and poised to serve as an ambassador as well as distill complex scientific information into clear and compelling messages.
- Personable, humble yet confident, and a natural relationship builder able to seamlessly transition between scientists, patients, and physicians.
- Innately motivated by the mission and goals of LF and excited to be a continuous learner around lipedema and women’s health.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required. MBA, MPH or MS preferred. PhD a plus.
TRAVEL: Approximately 25% travel; ability to meet in person in Greenwich, CT, New York, NY and/or Montgomery County, MD once a month.
Lipedema is a female condition where irregular fat builds up in the arms and legs, sometimes with swelling and pain. It can be mistaken for obesity or lymphedema. It is widespread (affecting >1% of adolescent and adult women), but research and treatments are lacking because of limited awareness and because there is no diagnostic test. Adolescent and adult women affected. Key awareness statistics show large growth in recent years, such as 200+ social media groups and pages and the YouTube channel made by LF founder having over 630,000 views. Currently there is no proven diagnostic test (gene, imaging, blood or other biomarker). Initial small-scale research is showing interesting results and you can read more at https://www.lipedema.org/research-impact.
ABOUT THE LIPEDEMA FOUNDATION:
The Lipedema Foundation is a private, financially independent, foundation founded by Felicitie Daftuar. The LF is the world’s largest funder of lipedema research, with a portfolio of more than 30 transformative awards. Its scientific strategy covers a broad array of basic, translational and clinical research aimed at improving detection and treatment of lipedema. LF remains small and focused by outsourcing many non-mission functions (legal, accounting, IT, software, etc.) allowing for a truly mission-focused workplace. LF will continue to focus on increasing awareness and supporting research innovations in lipedema and will continue to support growth of the field through important infrastructure initiatives such as the Lipedema Foundation patient registry, workshops, and conferences.
Compensation: Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Lipedema Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to: LF@sandlersearch.org