Manny Cantor Center
New York, NY
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Manny Cantor Center is seeking a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and results-oriented Executive Director (ED) to drive the continued growth of the Manny Cantor Center (MCC) —the flagship site of Educational Alliance and hub for diversity and inclusivity, community, and innovation as New York City continues to reemerge and reinvent post-pandemic.
Guided by Jewish values and an understanding of community needs and trends, the ED will set the vision, implement strategies, and oversee the operations to lead a vibrant, multicultural, and socioeconomically diverse community center on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. The ED will manage a varied portfolio of MCC programs, through which over 1,500 community members are served each day. Program and service offerings include early childhood, civic engagement, social work and mental health, fitness, arts and culture, and older adults.
Additionally, the ED will be responsible for MCC’s day-to-day operations, staff recruitment and development, external partnership building, and fundraising. In partnership with senior staff and the finance department, the ED will develop and manage a budget of over $12 million.
Reporting to the Chief Program Officer and working closely with the President & CEO of Educational Alliance, the ED will serve on the organization’s highly collaborative executive leadership team. Additionally, the ED will manage a staff of over 100 and directly supervise eight senior leaders.
Key responsibilities include:
Strategic Vision and Program Leadership
- Provide the values, vision, and strategy necessary to ensure that MCC’s wide range of programs continue to improve, innovate, and meet annual goals.
- Regularly evaluate and refine programs, developing and implementing effective systems and metrics to track progress and measure impact.
Operational, Fiscal, and Facility Management
- Working closely with the Finance department and senior staff, develop and manage the annual budget, including fee-for-service, government contracts, and private philanthropy.
- Ensure efficient and effective operations of MCC facilities, purchasing, compliance, and health and safety; oversee plans for expansion and/or renovation of community spaces.
Team Management and Organizational Culture
- Manage senior leaders in creating, growing, and maintaining all MCC programs, including early childhood, civic engagement, social work and mental health, fitness, arts and culture, and older adults.
- Drive a highly inclusive, productive, and supportive organizational culture that motivates and empowers staff to set and achieve ambitious goals through collaboration and creativity.
External Relations and Fundraising
- Collaborate with the Development team to raise over $8M annually; build strategic partnerships with elected officials and peer organizations and cultivate relationships with individual donors and foundations.
- Act as chief ambassador and thought leader for MCC through speaking engagements, building local coalitions, and hosting convenings.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
The successful candidate will have:
- 10+ years of successful program, operations, and team management in a complex nonprofit organization and/or government department.
- A strong understanding of running a mission-driven organization, including the ability to integrate the multiple business models with the core values of a mission-driven nonprofit.
- Operational and financial know-how with the skills and experience needed to run state-of-the-art facilities strategically and seamlessly.
- A demonstrated ability to develop new programs and improve and scale existing programs that serve a wide range of community needs and interests.
- Fundraising experience, ideally with diverse revenue streams, including government contracts.
The successful candidate will be:
- A positive and values-driven leader — you embrace the Jewish legacy and spirit that Educational Alliance and Manny Cantor Center are built on, and are excited to lead a diverse and inclusive community.
- A compassionate and results-oriented manager — you have a track record of overseeing large, diverse teams and motivating direct reports to outcomes.
- An outgoing and engaging spokesperson — you enjoy representing an organization to key stakeholders, including through public speaking engagements and media.
- A collaborative team player-coach — you are eager to support your colleagues across all levels of the organization and offer your expertise and insights to achieve shared goals.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree is a plus.
COMPENSATION: Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Educational Alliance aims to promote a vibrant and democratic society where all people have the community support they need to thrive. We are proud of our legacy as a Jewish organization and we provide high-quality, transformational services and programs to all New Yorkers through our network of community centers on Manhattan’s Lower East Side and East Village. For 130 years, New York’s most diverse network of community centers has expertly served the evolving needs of Lower Manhattan, offering access to quality education, health and wellness services, arts and culture, and civic engagement.
The flagship community center of Educational Alliance, Manny Cantor Center, offers award-winning programs, critical services, and enriching activities for people of all ages and backgrounds. Our commitment to the diversity of the Lower East Side is reflected in our programming. Our innovative early childhood program, unique in New York City, reflects our city’s cultural, religious, and socio-economic diversity through an innovative funding model. Our Family Resource Center connects community members to mental health, housing, food, clothing, employment, safety, legal information, citizenship and immigration, crisis support, and more. The Weinberg Center for Balanced Living and Co-op Village NORC create community for older adults of all backgrounds and abilities; our fitness center is utilized by neighborhood residents of all ethnicities, income levels, and ages through an innovative tiered membership model. The Educational Alliance Art School uses the study and mastery of fine arts to forge connections between students and master teachers. Our nationally recognized MCC Changemakers Program brings our neighborhood together in meaningful service and advocacy for a better world.
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to EdAlliance@sandlersearch.org
Educational Alliance is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Educational Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.