Still She Rises
ABOUT STILL SHE RISES
Still She Rises, Inc (SSR) provides free legal representation to pregnant women, women with children, or women who are child caregivers brought into the criminal, child welfare, and housing legal systems. Founded in North Tulsa, SSR offers client-centered, innovative, and holistic legal representation to honor the dignity of the women we serve by championing their individual goals and targeting systemic issues impacting the larger community.
Still She Rises (SSR) seeks to employ a highly strategic and motivated Executive Director to serve as our chief strategist, responsible for implementing a clear vision for the direction of the organization’s long- term growth, strategic planning, fundraising, and culture-setting. The Executive Director oversees the development of a multidisciplinary team of at least 40 employees and the continued recruitment of talented team members to serve the mission and vision of SSR as aligned with our values.
The ideal candidate is a visionary leader who values big-picture processes and the details necessary to bring those pictures to life. An innovative critical thinker to address client needs and a doer committed to indigent defense, a catalyst for policy reform at the local and state levels, and an intentional relationship builder who advocates for the interest of our clients with external stakeholders. Our next Executive Director demonstrates a commitment to racial, gender, and social equity against institutional racism with experience working on behalf of persons subjected to intersecting oppressions and a desire to represent members of historically marginalized communities. Your passion for progressive work together with your proven capability in managing organizational change, fundraising, and leadership will be essential in leading this organization into its next phase of transformational work.
Leadership and Management
- Provide strategic vision and specific guidance in alignment with SSR’s mission and values, by implementing innovative strategy surrounding the best delivery of legal services to SSR’s clients
- Creative and intentional relationship-building to increase access to policy reform efforts at the local and state levels
- Provide practical and supportive leadership and direction to the leadership team to ensure its members have the tools to develop SSR staff thoughtfully and intentionally towards the organization’s goals
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality services while managing current and future growth
- Work with internal team members and external partners to develop communications strategies aligned with SSR’s goals and elevate the organization’s profile
- Advocate for the interests of SSR clients with external stakeholders
- Serve as the primary spokesperson for the organization for external events, media inquiries, private funders, educational partners and beyond
- Attend national conferences and trainings and serve as an expert in the field as a speaker
- Represent the organization externally to bolster its relationships with organizations aligned in mission, vision and/or values
Fundraising & Fiscal Management
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors, diversify and expand funding streams
- Maintain and build upon existing funding relationships with philanthropic partners through intentional communication and education on philanthropic priorities
- Work with the Finance and Operations Manager to ensure sound financial systems and practices are implemented to support the ongoing work of the organization
- Invest in the continued growth and development of all team members
- Model thoughtfulness, responsiveness and safety to team members and clients
- Enforce SSR’s values and commitment to those values through specific behaviors
- Promote a culture of inclusion and belonging for our clients and team members
- Facilitate holistic collaboration through increased intentional internal communication among team members within the organization
- Identify, develop and expand the board to include additional expertise, financial support and strategies
- Support the building of a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors representative of the community SSR serves and highly engaged with the work
- Systematize policies and procedures that support a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment
- Ensure commitment to and compliance with all applicable laws and rules applicable to the organization
- Foster a positive, productive and compassionate work environment through clear HR policies and practices
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors and leadership team, prioritize retention and recruitment strategies for all current and prospective SSR members
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- A mission-driven thought leader – you are enthusiastically aligned to SSR’s mission, vision and values, passionate and knowledgeable about racial, gender, and social equity and institutional racism, and have experience working with or on behalf of members of marginalized communities
- A skilled communicator and ambassador – you have the compassion and communication skills to engage a diverse community of clients, partners, and donors
- A business-minded executive – you are operationally savvy and capable of developing and implementing strategic plans, possess sound decision-making skills, able to set clear priorities, manage organizational finances, and undertake successful fundraising
- An experienced and empathetic manager – you are skilled at leading an organization of high- performing professionals
- Civil Legal Aid or Indigent Defense experience preferred
- 5+ years of progressive work experience preferred
- History of success in managing organizational change
- Proven fundraising capabilities
- Exceptional team building and management skills
- Leadership or progressive responsibilities in a non-profit setting
EDUCATION: JD required
LOCATION: Tulsa, Oklahoma. SSR will provide relocation support.
TRAVEL: The Executive Director should expect to travel approximately 25% of the time both locally and nationally.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Commensurate with experience. We anticipate that the salary range for this position will be $160,000 –
$180,000 annually. In addition, SSR offers a generous benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental, & vision insurance, unlimited PTO, 401k, and much more.
APPLY: To be considered for the Executive Director role, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter using this link: https://bit.ly/stillsherises_ED.