Director/Senior Director, Philanthropy
Senior Director, Philanthropy
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
UpStart seeks an experienced and innovative leader and fundraiser to serve as Senior Director, Philanthropy (‘Senior Director’). The Senior Director will lead the effort to strategically raise philanthropic capital to support breakthrough entrepreneurial leaders and influence the Jewish social impact sector.
The Senior Director will manage UpStart’s fundraising and serve as a key thought-partner to the CEO, Chief Strategy & Impact Officer, staff, and Board in refining strategies and tactics to align revenue generation with the vision and goals outlined in UpStart’s new Strategic Plan. The Senior Director will supervise the Foundation & Development Operations Manager.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensure that annual philanthropic revenue goals are achieved and develop a coordinated fundraising strategy for long-term growth and expansion.
- Identify, cultivate, and steward strategic funding partnerships with a diverse array of revenue partners including family foundations, corporate and individual donors.
- Build and support a network of strategic partners, including community foundations, family foundations, philanthropic advisors, and wealth managers.
- Lead partner trainings on trends and learnings in philanthropy and Jewish social entrepreneurship.
- Promote and exemplify equitable best practices around grantmaker-grantseeker relationships for both the Jewish communal field and secular funding spaces.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
The successful candidate will bring 8+ years of experience working closely with senior leadership, including an ED/CEO, on program-aligned and outcomes-oriented fundraising and stakeholder engagement.
As a person you are:
- Passionate and knowledgeable about Jewish philanthropy: you are inspired to fundraise for UpStart, and proficient in philanthropic trends, including venture philanthropy and impact investing.
- An entrepreneurial and results-oriented fundraiser: you bring an appetite for risk-taking combined with a track record of revenue generation in a fast-paced environment.
- A collaborative leader and manager: you work effectively within teams as well as independently, and have successfully managed direct reports to clear outcomes.
- A thoughtful and persuasive communicator: you bring strong written and conversational skills, and can convey UpStart’s unique value and impact in clear and compelling ways.
- A values-driven team player: you are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and your approach aligns with UpStart’s philosophy: dream with purpose, build ‘what might be’, and grow the good.
UpStart partners with the Jewish community’s boldest leaders to expand the picture of how Jews find meaning and how we come together. Whether someone is starting a new venture, or reimagining what an existing one has to offer, UpStart gives them the entrepreneurial tools and network they need to build the Jewish community of the future.
UpStart is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, UpStart will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
UpStart’s vision is that Jewish communities will be thriving hubs of innovation, building a more just, vibrant, and inclusive future. As such, we aspire to build an entrepreneurial ecosystem that models this future, embodying and driving towards greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. For questions or concerns about Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice, please contact email@example.com.
COMPENSATION AND TITLE: The salary range and title for this position is from $100,000 – $115,000 based the candidate’s job-specific experience and skills, education, and readiness.
In addition to a competitive salary, UpStart currently offers the following benefits:
- A comprehensive benefits package, including 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Life, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
- 16-weeks of paid parental leave with no waiting period.
- FSA and Commuter Benefit accounts.
- Employer sponsored 401K with employer match.
- Flexible discretionary paid time off.
- Annual $1,500 professional development stipend.
- $300 office setup stipend and provided Mac.
- Monthly $50 cell phone stipend.
- Meeting-Free Fridays.
- 3:00pm local close-of-business on Fridays.
- Days off for all work-prohibitive Jewish holidays, in addition to secular US holidays.
- A great remote-first work culture! Check out our culture deck, here.
TO APPLY: Please submit your resume, along with a thoughtful, one-page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.