Peterson Center on Healthcare
Director, Monitoring, Evaluation and Research
New York, NY
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Peterson Center on Healthcare (“the Center”) is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs, and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research. For more information, please visit: https://petersonhealthcare.org/.
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (“MER”) team provides scientific and strategic leadership and guidance to all program areas of the Center. This team leads organizational performance and program impact assessment activities, as well as providing research and analytic services to the Center’s program areas, including Delivery System Innovations and Healthcare Data and Markets.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Center is seeking a Director, Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) to enhance, grow and oversee the Center’s monitoring, evaluation and research activities. Leading a team of three, this role drives ongoing improvement of the organization’s activities and those of its partners in order to understand the effectiveness of the Center’s initiatives, monitor the impact of promising approaches, and inform strategic decision making.
The Director will coordinate with leadership to produce actionable assessment and research findings and support the use of these and broader insights by partners and staff to guide their work. The Director will contribute to a culture of shared learning, elevate programmatic staff’s MER capacity, and serve as a key advisor to leadership. Key responsibilities include:
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Directs, manages and develops the strategic monitoring and evaluation (“M&E”) function:
- Designs the performance assessment framework and process for the Center and manages MER staff to advance this process.
- Works with leadership to identify intended and track ultimate outcomes in specific program initiatives and across the Center.
- Works with program leaders to inform an annual planning process, which includes gathering data from across the Center, assessing progress to date, analysis of current context and opportunities, and identification of annual priorities.
- Directs projects that gather feedback from key constituents, including grantees, Center staff, external partners (e.g., consultants), and community stakeholders.
- Provides expertise and guidance for evaluation, monitoring and other program-related assessment activities:
- Supports MER and program staff on the design and execution of specific program evaluations, advising on evaluation design and consulting on execution when needed.
- Collaborates with program, MER and communications staff to synthesize lessons and findings to share with the field, including identifying target audiences, key messages, and effective formats and products for communicating insights from assessment activities.
- Develops and implements a research agenda for the Center in consultation with Center and program leaders focusing on the Center’s mission and its core programmatic area(s).
- Refines and builds out a research service for the Center to generate market insights that inform organizational decision making around strategic direction and programmatic investments.
- Supports MER and program staff on the design and execution of specific program research projects and develops research capabilities and capacity in staff.
- Develops and manages resourcing model for the proposed organizational research agenda.
Culture and Management
- Develops, recruits, and manages a strong, talented, and diverse team of three.
- Stays current on emerging practices in planning, impact assessment, and learning, including new ways to assess prototyping, piloting, scaling, and dissemination of work.
- Supports an internal culture of learning and strategic decision making and builds MER capacity and adaptive learning skills across the Center.
- Contributes to a culture of inquiry, experimentation, understanding of and tolerance for risk, and a commitment to continuous learning.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
The successful candidate will be an accomplished research and evaluation professional committed to transforming the U.S. healthcare system. They will also be strategic, a strong collaborator, interested in developing staff, and able to bring the skills to build and enhance the MER function across the Center.
You should have/bring:
- A minimum of 15+ years of related experience such as with health studies and healthcare evaluation, science, applied economics, public policy or philanthropy; master’s degree in a relevant MER field preferred.
- Strong technical expertise in program evaluation and applied research across implementation and policy programmatic efforts.
- Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative research and analysis methods.
- Able to plan and think strategically, set realistic goals and objectives, balance multiple priorities, and manage project details.
- A team builder and leader who can develop, mentor and grow staff.
- Ability to build strong relationships and collaborate well with colleagues and organizational leadership as the MER content expert.
- A nimble learner who is self-directed, intellectually curious and adaptable and enjoys facing new situations and the challenge of ambiguity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the personal presence to represent the Center in diverse forums and organizational relationships.
- Motivated by and committed to the Center’s mission.
COMPENSATION: Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply to our organization. We offer a welcoming community that respects each individual and fosters a diverse set of experiences, perspectives, skills and ideas. We are committed to building a workplace in which every team member can thrive personally and professionally and contribute to our mission
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to: PCH@sandlersearch.org