Peterson Center on Healthcare
Director, Healthcare Innovation
New York, NY
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Peterson Center on Healthcare (“the Center”) is a non-profit organization dedicated to making higher quality, more affordable healthcare a reality for all Americans. The organization is working to transform U.S. healthcare into a high-performance system by finding innovative solutions that improve quality and lower costs and accelerating their adoption on a national scale. Established by the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, the Center collaborates with stakeholders across the healthcare system and engages in grant-making, partnerships, and research. More information: https://petersonhealthcare.org/
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Director, Healthcare Innovation is primarily responsible for creating and deploying a robust grants program strategy through designing, executing and evaluating grants and programs to align with the overall enterprise strategy. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director will build capability, leverage expertise in the marketplace, create sustainable relationships and assimilate/disseminate the knowledge gained through the Center’s grants outcomes in partnership with a small, growing team.
Primary responsibilities include intellectual and organizational leadership and implementation in:
Strategy and Execution
- Develop grant making strategies and programs that represent high impact opportunities for the Center to improve the value of healthcare across the United States.
- Regularly assess investments in each market segment to ensure alignment with the Center’s strategy; know when to begin and end investments.
- Lead development of concrete approaches for meeting program area goals including:
- Strategic decision-making about topics and projects to pursue;
- Constructing and implementing work plans to meet identified needs; and
- Managing relationships with strategic partners.
- Monitor and report on program performance and progress and ensure findings inform future strategic iterations and investments.
- Keep abreast of key trends and activities in the health care environment, specifically as they pertain to the program area strategy.
Partnerships and Management
- Manage, mentor and develop program staff through day to day guidance, ensuring a high quality of deliverables.
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally with internal and external staff at all levels including partnering with the Analytics and Learning team and Communications to distill learnings, accelerate impact, iterate strategies and disseminate results.
- Identify and develop strategic partnerships with other funders and stakeholders across market segments to maximize the impact of Center initiatives.
- Present proposed grants to the Executive Director and the CEO, including strengths and weaknesses of proposal, and rationale for recommending approval.
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
The Director, Healthcare Innovation will be a strategic and engaged leader with an aptitude for synthesis, data-centered decision making and outcomes-oriented thinking. They will be a collaborative partner with experience executing on multiple projects and convening a variety of stakeholders with adaptability and diplomacy.
- Significant experience in management consulting, program management, strategy, professional services, healthcare, philanthropy or related experience in a private or public sector setting.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and establish a program strategy.
- Superb project management skills with demonstrated experience managing complex projects involving a variety of stakeholders.
- An ability to manage and work collaboratively within the Center, the overall Foundation, and with a broad range of grantees and external contractors and consultants.
- A conscientious approach to problem identification and resolution; a strong sense of priorities and objectives to implement solutions.
- Knowledge of the health care delivery system, health care performance and emerging trends in the health care field preferred.
- Motivated by and committed to the Center and Foundation’s missions.
- A strategist who thinks critically, creatively, innovatively, and analytically to bring “cutting-edge” program initiatives and ideas to the Center.
- A consummate communicator with the ability to translate complex ideas into clear, easy-to-understand concepts.
- Collaborative and patient with integrity, excellent interpersonal skills, and a customer-focus; able to anticipate needs, recommend options and implement solutions for partners.
- A quick, nimble learner who enjoys facing new situations and the challenge of ambiguity.
- Hands-on, flexible, thoughtful, and self-motivated with a rigorous and deliberative approach to program design and execution.
EDUCATION AND TRAVEL: Master’s degree in health care administration, public health, public policy or related field is a plus. Less than 20% travel required.
Please email cover letter and resume or nominations in confidence to: PCH@sandlersearch.org
The Peterson Center on Healthcare is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.