Chief Operating Officer
Flexible, preference in Midwest
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
StriveTogether is seeking its first Chief Operating Officer (COO) to partner with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead and manage the organization as it enters an important next chapter. The COO will play a vital role leading an organization with an $11M operating budget and a staff of 45, with expectations for continued growth over the next several years.
The COO will establish a highly collaborative and trusted partnership with the CEO and other members of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT). The COO will lead and manage all internal functions of the organization, including Human Resources, Finance, IT and Operations. The COO will also oversee the programmatic operations of the organization and lead a high-performing program team to greater integration, coordination, and efficiency. Finally, the COO will manage and support the Executive Leadership Team, including leadership of multi-year strategic planning and also annual planning.
Through management of the ELT as well as developing and overseeing the HR function, the COO will be a strong people leader and manager who can develop staff at all levels, and model strong and effective management. With a deep commitment to racial equity, diversity and inclusion (REDI), the COO will also model being an anti-racist leader and will embrace the importance of all REDI initiatives throughout the organization.
Overall, the COO will focus on building and scaling operations and systems, and also internal talent management practices and processes. By developing infrastructure and capacity, the COO will enable StriveTogether’s ongoing and deepening success and impact, and ensure that it is poised for effective growth in the years ahead.
More specifically, the COO is charged with the following key responsibilities:
Management of the Executive Leadership Team
- With StriveTogether’s current strategic plan coming to an end in Dec 2023, the COO will work with the CEO to lead the ELT and staff in a strategic planning process for the next plan, for 2024 and beyond
- Work closely with all senior leaders to translate the overall strategic vision into implementation and operating plans and processes
- Lead annual and ongoing planning and day-to-day cross-functional management
- Refine, develop, implement, and manage cross-functional decision-making processes
- Lead internal communications
Management of all Internal Functions
- Lead and manage all core internal functions: human resources, finance, IT, and operations
- Actively coach, mentor, manage and support all direct reports for these functions
Management of HR, Talent and Culture
- Hire new HR leadership position: Senior Director for HR, Talent and Culture
- Oversee the development of a best-in-class HR function for StriveTogether, including all strategies and functions of the HR lifecycle, from recruitment and onboarding through training, development, performance management and exit
- With new Senior Director and CEO, lead and champion StriveTogether’s internal racial equity, diversity, and inclusion (REDI) initiatives, ensuring that all HR policies and practices are built and executed with a REDI lens
- As the organization’s work continues to grow, ensure that organizational structure and team continue to evolve to support growth; responsible for leading re-organization and/or other staffing and structural changes to support growth
Management of Programmatic Operations
- Oversee all programmatic operations to ensure integration, coordination and efficiency, and alignment with resources
- Actively coach, mentor, manage and support program team, and ensure alignment and integration with operating functions
ABOUT THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
While no candidate will have all of the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics, StriveTogether is looking for the following key attributes.
Key Attributes Include:
- A strong commitment to StriveTogether’s mission and values, including deep commitment to racial equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- A collaborative, trusted partner to the CEO who will share and hold the long-term and enterprise-level focus.
- A seasoned and mature leader of people and processes. A COO who is ready on Day One, with demonstrated executive presence.
- 15+ years of operational leadership and management expertise, ideally with a national and growing organization; and ideally with change management experience.
- Proven track record of successfully managing and developing high performing teams and leading and collaborating with colleagues.
- A passion for coaching, mentoring, and developing staff and teams.
- Strategic planning experience, and a strategic mindset to all operations and management.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- An experienced leader who thrives in a fast-paced, complex organization and can forge collaborative relationships across the team.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
StriveTogether is a national movement with a clear purpose: helping every child succeed in school and in life from cradle to career, regardless of race, ethnicity, zip code or circumstance. We refuse to settle for a world where a child’s potential is dictated by the conditions into which they are born. We work to break down barriers, change systems and improve outcomes for as many families as possible.
The StriveTogether team is passionate, talented, and dedicated to achieving our mission. We seek and value all kinds of diversity and work hard to eliminate inequities in ourselves, our organization, and our communities. Our goals are bold, so we support each other to try new things, have tough conversations and push for change. As we work, we share learning and progress, use data to make decisions and celebrate our wins.
TRAVEL: While the location is flexible, there will be significant travel to StriveTogether’s Cincinnati office.
COMPENSATION: $200,000-$245,000 with the potential of a 10% bonus. Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
StriveTogether is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. The organization provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
Please email resume or nominations in confidence to: StriveTogether@sandlersearch.org