Chief Development Officer
New York, NY
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Educational Alliance seeks a Chief Development Officer (“CDO”) to build, develop and manage a comprehensive and ambitious fundraising program and departmental operations. The CDO develops and propels Educational Alliance’s critical fundraising strategies for growth while furthering a vibrant, innovative, and inclusive organization.
The Chief Development Officer will develop and implement an overall strategy for fundraising, especially as Educational Alliance adapts its programs, structure, and growth plan to navigate the evolving needs of the community—and a changing philanthropic environment—as we emerge from the pandemic.
Reporting directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”), the CDO will set the vision and strategy for all annual development activities, including individual donors, major gifts, foundations, government funding, events, planned gifts, direct mail, and online contributions. This means implementing a vision of Development that will provide additional unrestricted contributions; serve more community members; initiate growth; and sustain a relationship- and people-centered organization.
The CDO will serve on the organization’s highly collaborative, six-person executive leadership team and will also build, strengthen, and manage the Development team.
This is a unique fundraising position responsible for maintaining and growing revenue, as well as a leadership position with the ability to influence organizational strategy and culture.
Key responsibilities include:
Development Planning and Strategy
- Develop a comprehensive annual development plan and implement fundraising strategies that serve the organization’s fiscal year goals and 10-year strategic plan.
- Expand and oversee funding sources, including fundraising campaigns for foundations, government, corporate sponsorships, and new business initiatives.
- Build and strengthen a robust, diverse, and inclusive individual, major gift program.
- Personally identify, cultivate, and solicit major individual and institutional gifts.
- Evaluate the fundraising activities annually to ensure quality, productivity and relevance towards meeting goals.
- Oversee the full lifecycle of grant proposals and report writing.
- Create and launch the organization’s endowment campaign and increase planned giving.
- Advise the CEO on relationship building and high-priority fundraising opportunities, ensuring that the CEO’s time is meaningfully engaged in fundraising and donor cultivation.
- Collaborate with the executive leadership team and Executive Directors across the Alliance network, providing accurate fundraising updates and forecasts, and offering sound thought leadership on key, organizational priorities.
- Serve on and manage the Development Committee of the Board of Directors; collaborate with the Chief Strategy Officer on Board stewardship.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management of the development department, including overseeing the department budget.
- Develop a dashboard of clear goals for each member of the Development team that will serve as a roadmap for achieving the overall goal.
- Inspire a rigorous yet innovative culture for overall fundraising initiatives and strategically grow, recruit, mentor and motivate a strong team.
- Optimize the development department structure and systems to support ambitious fundraising goals.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The successful candidate will bring 10+ years of senior leadership and fundraising experience. They will have exceptional major gift fundraising and relationship building skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to use data to set strategic priorities and achieve ambitious goals.
Key experience includes:
- Demonstrated track record of building and growing a fundraising program, including cultivating major gifts and securing corporate, foundation, and government funding.
- A highly skilled and knowledgeable fundraiser, current on funding trends, activities, and techniques.
- Experience working in close partnership with and advising a CEO/Executive Director on fundraising activities.
- Ability to collaborate with fellow senior leaders on high-level organizational priority-setting and decision-making.
- A strong, capable, inclusive, and transformative manager and leader able to build, motivate, develop, and inspire a team.
As a person you are:
- A passionate and high-energy fundraiser— you love building connections through donor cultivation and bring versatile development knowledge and skillsets
- A highly organized and self-motivated leader — you have a track record of measurable successes and have built effective systems that advance individual and collective goals.
- A compassionate and results-oriented manager — you enjoy mentoring and developing direct reports and are skilled in motivating a team to outcomes.
- A collaborative team player — you are eager to support your colleagues across all levels of the organization and offer your expertise and insights to achieve shared goals.
- A mission and values driven individual— you believe in the power of community to transform lives and are committed to creating inclusive and empowering spaces for all.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Educational Alliance aims to promote a vibrant and democratic society where all people have the community support they need to thrive. For 130 years, New York’s most diverse network of community centers has expertly served the evolving needs of Lower Manhattan, offering access to quality education, health and wellness services, arts and culture, and civic engagement opportunities.
The organization is proud of its legacy as a Jewish organization and its ability to provide enriching and transformational services to all New Yorkers. Educational Alliance is also committed to a bold vision for the future, piloting innovative and inclusive programs that serve as models for other organizations and communities to adopt and implement.
TO APPLY: Please email cover letter and resume in confidence to EdAlliance@sandlersearch.org
Educational Alliance is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Educational Alliance takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Educational Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.