Associate Vice President of Communications
Remote / Washington, D.C. preferred
YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
In 2023, the Hillel movement will celebrate its Centennial. As Hillel looks back on 100 years of inspiring vibrant Jewish life on campus, Hillel International is making the critical investments necessary to vault the Hillel movement with strength into its second century. Hillel International is seeking a highly skilled, energetic, and passionate communications professional to join us as the new Associate Vice President of Communications and oversee the organization’s strategic communications portfolio. Responsibilities include leadership of press and public relations, crisis communications, social media, internal communications, and editorial content at Hillel International, the world’s largest Jewish student organization.
Reporting to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications, this position will lead a team of five full-time communications professionals, in addition to vendors, partners, and interns, with the objective of elevating Hillel’s strategic communications work.
Strategic Communication Planning and Management
- Develop and implement a strategic content approach to communication across audiences and channels, ensuring creative editorial in line with core messages.
- Manage interdepartmental communications projects, including publicity of Hillel programs, conferences, and events; as well as speech-writing and press releases.
Media Outreach, Earned Media, and Crisis Communications
- Lead organizational communications strategy and crisis communications at the local and international level.
- Work directly with the CEO to draft their communications and grow their voice across various platforms.
- Promote Hillel programs to national and local media, including work on Jewish engagement, education, and Israel.
- Ideate, edit, and write op-eds and thought leadership articles by students and Hillel stakeholders for publication in various media.
- Advise and train local Hillel professionals on storytelling, media engagement and communications best practices.
Editorial Oversight Across Digital and Social Media Platforms
- Develop and refine messaging and manage content creation for various audiences, including students, parents, donors, the broader Jewish community, and other Hillel professionals.
- Refine and maintain a content calendar to maximize impact of messages across channels and audience.
- Drive editorial and content strategy for social media platforms, including Facebook, TikTok, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
- Drive content strategy for Hillel International Global Assembly and script speeches and plenaries as part of the HIGA planning team.
Team Leadership and Supervision
- Develop a supportive and effective team culture by facilitating ongoing collaboration and team building.
- Manage vendors, consultants, and student-cohort members to ensure consistent, highquality work product, effective use of Hillel resources, and continuity of coverage.
ABOUT YOU & WHAT YOU BRING:
Do you feel called to the mission of creating a strong, inclusive and vibrant Jewish future and, through that process, making a positive impact on the broader world? Do you see life and work as a team sport, and one in which you can play a key contributing role in architecting, organizing and supporting teammates toward their greatest impact and success? Are you a flexible, innovative and solution-oriented thinker, who enjoys the challenge of pursuing ambitious goals and taking on difficult problems? If so, you may be a good candidate to serve as Hillel International’s new AVP of Communications.
Hillel International is looking for the following key professional and personal attributes.
- 10+ years of professional work experience in communications, public relations, media from the corporate, nonprofit and/ or agency arenas.
- Significant experience leading earned media strategy and press and public relations, including placing stories, managing PR firms, crisis communications, and reputation/risk management.
- Proven experience leading and managing a 360-degree communications team, including full-time staff, interns, vendors, and contractors, and working with numerous cross-functional teams
- Superior ability to craft and write excellent and compelling communications, including press releases, speeches and presentations, quick-turn responses, and public statements under tight deadlines.
- Ability to engage and inspire various audiences across a variety of media channels, including the organization’s website, social media, and other media platforms.
- Familiarity and proficiency in managing vendors and freelancers to maximize the ROI on contracts and relationships.
- Experience leading or participating in the redesign, building, and/or launch of an organization’s website, including content migration and creation.
- Experience responding with quickness, accuracy, and effectiveness to breaking news, and able to tell the stories of the important work that Hillel engages in every day to support Jewish students at 850 colleges and universities around the world.
- A team-oriented approach to work, a strong work ethic, comfort managing a project, a sense of humor, and an ability to take risks and learn from challenges.
- Knowledge of the topics and conversations relevant to college life today, including admissions, advocacy, mental health, and social justice.
- Understanding of the Jewish community, including its relationship with Israel.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: $135,000 – $160,000
Hillel has a comprehensive benefits plan that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, paid time off for Jewish and federal holidays, an informal “take what you need” vacation policy, and flexible work from home policy. In addition, employees are enthusiastically encouraged to take advantage of professional development opportunities through Hillel U or their partner organizations.
TO APPLY: Please click here to apply and submit cover letter and resume in confidence. To nominate a candidate, email firstname.lastname@example.org with AVP of Communications in the subject line.
Hillel believes in supporting individual’s growth and potential at all stages and is committed to creating equitable and representative work environments. Research shows that women and individuals who hold underrepresented identities tend to only apply to jobs that they believe they meet all of the qualifications for. Job descriptions are aspirational, and no one meets every bullet listed. Hillel strongly encourages applications from individuals with varied identities and backgrounds, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people, and people who come from low income or working class backgrounds.
As an equal opportunity employer, all individuals are encouraged to apply without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected under federal, state, or local laws.